Online Panel: Israeli Escalated Violations against Palestinian Journalists
Journalists have long been subjected to several Israeli violations including deliberate killing, arbitrary measures, closure of media institutions and prevention of coverage, arrest, summons and house arrest, which is mainly practised against journalists in occupied Jerusalem.
The Israeli attacks on media workers have notably and systematically intensified over the past four years, including shooting, killing, tear gas and sound bombs fire, beating and dragging. These documented violations left many journalists injured, with some of them suffered limb loss and facial deformities.
Last month, the veteran journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was directly targeted while covering an Israeli military raid into Jenin. Her colleague Ali Al Samoudi suffered gunshot injuries during the incident.
During its aggression on Gaza Strip in May 2021, Israeli occupation targeted 23 media institutions headquarters including Al Jazeera Network and the Associated Press.
The ongoing Israeli violations against journalists and media workers came in flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and conventions. Despite the United Nations’ frequent appeals to hold Israel responsible in protecting journalists and prosecuting those responsible for the crimes against Palestinian journalists, nothing has been achieved yet.
In this regard, Global Rights Watch (GRW) invites you to attend an online panel to shed light on the Israeli criminal practices against journalists and media workers.
Date & Time
Wed, 29 Jun 2022
6 PM (Beirut)
Please join us at the bellow Zoom link:
Meeting ID: 85178027774
Journalist Ahmed Melhem – Watan News Agency
Journalist Aziza Nofal – Reporters Without Borders
Journalist Hafez Abu Sabra – Roya News TV
Ms. Sherine Al-Khatib – Program Manager at Mada Center (meeting chair)
The seminar key points:
* Israeli violations and attacks against journalists and media institutions in Palestine (Journalist Ahmed Melhem)
* Deliberate executions of witnesses to Israeli violations against journalists (Journalist Hafez Abu Sabra)
* Challenges faced by journalists (women) during their media work. (Journalist Aziza Nofal)
* Role of the ICC, international humanitarian law and international conventions in protecting journalists as civilians and holding perpetrators accountable. (Journalist Ahmed Melhem)
* Palestinian media role in conveying the truth about the Palestinian cause compared to the Israeli media excessive efforts in influencing world public opinion. (Journalist Hafez Abu Sabra)